Sunday, July 09, 2006

I PLACED!!


Well, I placed third in my division in my triathlon today. I'm not going to tell you about the whole race...lets just talk about what I learned. I learned that I'm really fat. Blah blah blah...You can think whatever you what about my having said that, BUT the fact of the matter is, that I could do SO much better if I lose weight. And how much better a way to lose it than by training it away. This race today just reminded me that I've not arrived where I wish to be with the triathlon stuff. I have my "'A' Race the last weekend in September. Thats 10 weeks. I have 10 weeks to train to get under two hours on that race. I did well on the bike today, so I think I'm going to focus ONLY on swimming and running for the next ten weeks. I'll go on one bike ride a week, every Saturday from now till then. That should do.
Anyway, enough about what I'm "gonna" do...I had a good time today doing what I did. And I was reminded again that even though I'm not yet a certain triathlete by feeling (though technically by title) all the athletes there were very encouraging. Even as I was one of the last five people out on the course, they would still drive by (on their way home) and cheer for me "almost there! Keep going!" Why would they do that? I love that about them. Granted, its not everyone, but those 10 or 12 people who did cheer, and then the dozens of people who cheer when you finish..>thats pretty powerful. The thing about it is, there's something so much safer about them knowing that youre doing it than regular people on the street knowing youre doing it. I would rather train by running a race every day, than run quietly by myself on the street in the early morning when one or two cars passes by. I think thats because people at the race know that everyone has to start somewhere and we're all doing it. But people on the street could just think "girl, youre no athlete, go back home and sit on the couch." But I guess, who cares either way right? The thing I realized today, not during the race, but now, As I look at the pictures of what I looked like doing it, is that you really do have to start somewhere. That means that if youre overweight, and you want to be a skinny triathlete, you need to first be an overweight triathlete. It sucks, but the perseverence and determination it takes to get there is so much more beneficial once you get to be the skinny triathlete.
I look forward to those days of being that athletic person, but until then, I'll enjoy this time too.. The time when I can get some super athlete so moved that he rolls his window down to yell nice things at me. (at least I'll pretend that I had that effect.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home